Wednesday, January 16, 2013

It's a Digital World Out There

Is it Wednesday already?  I've been having trouble remembering what day it is because today we had a snow day!  Fortunately (or perhaps unfortunately?) they canceled classes yesterday evening, because when I woke up this morning the roads seemed fine.  It is very difficult to get motivated to do anything on a snow day, but at least I made a nice breakfast for the hubs!

For this week, my students have to write about the idea of moving to a digital world.  Which is better?  Print or digital?

I personally don't have any sort of e-reader yet, but I really want one!  Just the other night I finished a book and really wanted to read the next one in the series.  I remember sitting in my bedroom thinking that if I had a Kindle, Nook, iPad, or whatever, I could just click a few buttons and I would have the book without ever getting out of bed.  The same thing happened when I read about another book I'm dying to read.  Not only that, but if I go to the store and get these books (which I hadn't done yet), they are going to cost a fortune!  Well, maybe not a fortune, but more than I care to spend.  So, instead I got online, looked it up, and found the book at my local library.  Now I just have to swing by and pick it up for free!  Look at me mixing digital and print!  Then, if I want to own the book, I will go to amazon.com and find it nice and cheap.

Even though I want to own an e-reader, I love real books.  I love holding them in my hands and writing on their pages.  (Yes, I'm one of those people who write in my books.)  Even so, they are quite expensive if you want a book immediately.

I was trying to remember the last time I actually purchased a full price book and I realized that I don't buy full price books for myself.  I only buy them as gifts.  If I'm buying a book for myself, this is where I get it:

 

From what I can tell, the next date (since the only picture I could find was for 2012) is March 8-10.  At this sale, paperbacks are $0.50 and hardbacks are $1.00!  You can't get much better than that!  Oh, and one of my favorite things are the grab boxes.  They have boxes of 20 books for $1.  The only catch is that you can't look in the box.

I'm thinking I should take my classes on a field trip to the book sale.  Spread the book love!  What do you think?

Well, that's all for now!

Godspeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment