Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy New Year!

I know! It's been a minute.  And it's not a Wednesday.  For both I am sorry, but I feel as though it is time.

Around May of last year, my family went through some hard times and I wasn't sure I wanted to share that with the Internet.  However, it was such a big part of my life that I knew I couldn't write without talking about it, so I put the blog on pause.  But that is so last year.

So, now for a discussion of New Year's resolutions.

I know there are a lot of people who eschew New Year's resolutions, and I understand their reasoning.  Recently on Phineas and Ferb, Dr. Doofenshmirtz was planning some sort of hijinks that involved making the citizens of the Tri-State Area put, "Serve Heinz Doofenshmirtz," on their New Year's resolution list.  Normally, Perry would swoop in and stop this nonsense, but he sat by and let it happen, because everyone knows that New Year's resolutions are meaningless and almost guarantee that thing won't happen in the new year.

That being said, I like New Year's resolutions.

I like the idea of a fresh start.
And I like lists.  A lot.

So, if I'm going to make a list of New Year's resolutions, there are a few options:
  1. Very generic goals that I will obtain regardless of their appearance on an arbitrary list.
  2. Superbly ambitious goals that aren't necessarily meant to be in obtained in one year.
  3. Super specific goals that I want to happen in between January 1, 2013, and December 31, 2013.
Decisions, decisions.

I think a specific list is my cup of tea.  However, I hate that feeling of failure when I look back and realize I have done nothing.  To do lists depress me because I am overly ambitious and I very rarely complete everything on the list unless I have to for some reason.

Enough waffling about.  Here is a list of things I think it would be cool to do/complete/obtain in 2013 or beyond, but it's totally cool if some of these things don't happen.
  1. Read more books for pleasure and then write about them here.  I don't necessarily want this blog to become a book review blog, but I do love reading and writing about books.  Hence the whole English teacher thing.
  2. Blog more.  Last year I blogged 7 times, so I think more than 7 is an obtainable goal.
  3. Get papers back to students in a more timely fashion.  I'm sure my students would appreciate it if I could stick to this one.
  4. Research a couple of PhD programs and decide if it's something I really want to do.  I've talked about getting my PhD for years, but I know nothing about when, where, how, etc. I want to do this.
  5. Read more nonfiction.  I am not a fan of nonfiction, but I recognize its importance.  Broadening horizons and whatnot.
  6. Do laundry and dishes on a regular basis instead of all at once.  And get a new dishwasher because hand washing dishes just isn't my thing.
  7. Watch all of the movies nominated for Best Picture, Leading Actor, and Leading Actress awards for the Academy Awards, write up Oscar predictions, and throw an Oscar party.
  8. Finish the Song of Ice and Fire series, or at least what Martin has written to this point.  I love these books, but they are time consuming and difficult to get through.
  9. Write something for publication.
  10. Go to the PTK national convention in San Juan, California.
  11. Begin working on my table made of LEGOs to display all of my Harry Potter LEGO sets.
  12. Maintain my weight.  Although weight loss goals seem to be a standard, my goal is simply not to gain any weight.  One of my BFFs is getting married this summer and I already have the dress, so I would like to still fit in the dress this summer.
  13. Throw Jen an awesome shower and bachelorette party.
  14. Start a savings account.  Living paycheck to paycheck sucks.  I've got to cut my cost of living if I ever want to retire!
  15. Go to an HP con (or buy tickets for 2014 if the 2013 cons are sold out), the Wizarding World, or The Making of.  These are probably unobtainable due to #14, but hey, a girl can dream.
Well, that's all I can think of right now folks!  I hope you all have a great 2013!


Godspeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment