Thursday, March 31, 2016

Letting Go
Holding On

How can I hold on to something that isn't here?
I thought I had let go
But once it was gone
I realized I was still holding on
Even though my arms can't stretch to heaven
My heart apparently can
Because it can't seem to let go

But my heart can do many amazing things
Like hold on to more than one thing
Even if it's not safe
Even if it hurts
Even if it's not smart
Wise decisions are for the head
Not the heart
But how can you hold on to something
You've never actually had
Lingering heartache is a bitch
And games are for the foolish and lovesick

But wait
It can do more still
Here's another thing to hold onto
Something that will hold you back
And keep you safe
And even as your heart screams
Let it go
Let it go
It also screams
Hold on tight
And then when you've pushed it away
You're left in the same place you began
It's too far away to hold with your hands
But your heart has an amazing elasticity
This time not to heaven
Because heaven doesn't exist for both of you

No comments:

Post a Comment